Australian Government Department of Innovation, Industry, Science and Research partner with media140 Australia, to examine the impact of social technologies on science and risk communication.
The Australian Government is to partner with media140 for a unique international event at the Brisbane Powerhouse on the 27th April 2011.
The event will explore the impact of social technologies on effective science and risk communication, looking at the challenges of engaging the public on issues such as climate change, health, nanotechnology, cloning and other sensitive public interest themes. Through keynotes, workshops, round tables and one to one business sessions the event will provide practical guidance and strategic leadership from speakers and educators from US, Europe and Australia.
Confirmed speakers include
• Dr. Andrew Maynard, Director of the University of Michigan Risk Science Center
• Bernie Hobbs, ABC Science broadcaster
• Dr Kristin Alford, Managing Director of Bridge8
• Wilson Da Silva, Editor-in-Chief, COSMOS Magazine
• Natasha Mitchell, ABC Science, Health, Technology journalist
• Daniel Keogh, (Professor Funk) Science film maker and journalist
• Sara Philips, Editor of ABC Environment
• Becky Crew, Winner of Australia’s National Science Week Big Blog Theory
• Darren Osborne, ABC Science Editor
• Dr. Will Rifkin, Director of the ‘New Media for Science Project’ UNSW
• Ben Hosken, Founder of Flink Labs
• Dr. Will Grant, Australian National Centre for the Public Awareness of Science.
• Cobi Smith, Science communicator
• Dr Craig Cormick, Manager of the Public Awareness and Community Engagement
program of the Innovation Department’s National Enabling Technologies Strategy.
“With news and information now being more frequently disseminated through social networks, the public has access to information that typically is over-simplified and with a lack of authority, making it important for science communicators to develop strategies to use these new digital tools to engage with social communities to ensure policies, data and information is conveyed effectively.” media140 founder, Ande Gregson (@andegregson)
One of the goals of the Department of Innovation, Industry, Science and Research is to better understand the impacts of emerging technologies, and this includes how people frame and perceive risks, and how scientific risk is best communicated to the public.